Saturday, April 13, 2019

Up The ICW to Annapolis

I'm spending my last night on Top Shelf before driving to NYC to see my daughter Jackie.  From there I will be on my way home to Norwell.  This will be the last blog of the series.  Back to Beaufort NC...

Destroyer in Norfolk VA
After getting to Beaufort, Ryan and I washed the salt encrusted Top Shelf.  When we were done, they left to tour the town while I took a nap.  Later that night we went to Rib Eye's for dinner.  It is one of the stops you don't miss if you are cruising the ICW (Inter-Coastal Waterway).

The next morning we slept in and left around 9 am as we only had 65 miles to our next stop in Bellhaven NC.  I expected an easy cruise and a restful night, but Ryan had other plans.
Bellhaven Marina

I had told Ryan a few days earlier that I had a large steaming pot on board with a great propane burner that I had not used since we had a lobster bake in Maine with Greg and Sandy Ford.  Ryan had plans, but he didn't let me in on these until we landed in Bellhaven.

Blue Crab Delivery
Greg is the General Manager and Dockmaster at Bellhaven Marina.  His marina has the highest rating on Active Captain.  He is one of those folks who will get things done for the boaters at his dock.  Ryan knew we were in crab country, so he asked Greg if he had a source for a half bushel of Blue Crab.  After a few phone calls, Greg had a fisherman delivering them within the hour.

Ryan Delivering the Crab Boil
We walked around the small marina and invited all the crews on the dock to join us.  I still had a case and a half of Bud Light on board, so I thought this would be the perfect opportunity put them to use.  Sam went to the grocery store with Greg as we waited for the Blue Crab to show up.

Potatoes, Corn on the Cob, Old Bay Seasoning and Blue Crab.  That's what went int he pot.  What came out was a good old fashion crab boil.  We had a great time eating this with Greg and the Aussies aboard the neighboring sailboat.  We didn't get to bed until late.  So much for the restful night!
Greg Overseeing the Crab Boil

The next morning, we got up at sunrise to attack the next 85 miles of the ICW to get to Coinjock NC for the famous Prime Rib that was served at this marina.  We had our fill of the 32 ounce Prime Rib.  Sam was smarter than us and ordered the more reasonable 16 ounce version.

Eating Crab of Over 2 Hours
The next morning, up again at sunrise for our final 183 nautical mile run to Annapolis MD.  The first 50 miles continued on the ICW to Norfolk VA.  Here we saw a great shipping port as well has home to the Atlantic Fleet.  Unfortunately, there was only one aircraft carrier in port.  The other 3 that are usually there must have been out threatening someone?


We thought we were going to get a nice 10 knot SE wind to push
ICW Waterway VA
us up the Chesapeake for the 130 nautical miles to Annapolis.  What we actually got was NNE winds at 20 mph that were blowing a 4 foot chop with a 4-5 second interval.  When waves are made only from wind, the distance between the crests can be very short.  Waves in the ocean typically have 7-12 second intervals.  Since the water is shallow (20 feet) and the waves are wind driven, this give a really uncomfortable short interval wave.  We rode these waves hitting us on the starboard beam for the next 8 hours.

Cruising Past Navy Norfolk
We got to Burr at 3 am.  They had left a slip open for us which is where I am sitting right now.  We docked the boat and went right to bed.

The next morning, I got up at 8:30 and washed the salt off of Top Shelf for the last time.  Ryan and Sam got up right after me and packed as they were going to visit family in Baltimore and then NYC before heading south start preparation for the North American Spearfishing Championship being held at Lake Mead later this year.
Nimitz-Class Carrier Harry Truman

I was talking with the Fleming yacht technicians at Burr Yacht Sales when Sam and Ryan left, so I didn't get a chance to give a proper good bye, so I'll do that right now....Thanks for all of your help to get Top Shelf safely back home!

Now that the trip is over, here are the stats.  We sailed over 3,600 nautical miles since October 15th last year.  We visited 4 countries, had 10 visitors, anchored 51 times, put 479 hours on the main engines and 825 hours on the generator.  We only had minor mechanical issues and no accidents, which to me is the best part of the adventure.

I want to thank everyone who followed this blog.  Getting your comments meant a lot to me and was my inspiration to keep writing.  Julianne had a nice book made of the blog up through December, and gave it to me as a Christmas present.  Maybe the remainder of the blogs could end up as an April birthday present?

Farewell for now, and may the seas of life for all of us be pushing from astern.




No comments:

Post a Comment